Saturday, July 3, 2010

2010 July 2 - HDRL SCE COT Daytona (70 laps)

MY first ever restrictor plate race and there is a pounding jackhammer in my chest. Speeds approach 300kph throughout the entire lap around this colossal track, and a small error can turn into a big mistake in an instant. Fender to fender, side by side, with ten other cars on some perpetual superhighway, in a car that wants to turn left like a tapered plastic drinking cup rolling across the floor...

I must admit, I was one of those idiots who thought NASCAR and Stock Car Racing was a joke. I thought speed ovals were venues more fit for testing cars and their components and not for any sort of competition. It seemed like on such a simple layout the race would come down to who had the faster car, and driver skill and confidence wouldn't be a factor at all. Just turning left all the time, what kind of racing is that?

Imagine two Formula One cars racing on a road course full of twists and turns and chicanes. Lap after lap after lap they chase each other, nose to tail, neither driver making a mistake and both cars keeping the pace. They dive into a short straight, full throttle towards the end of the chute, where a hairpin presents an overtaking opportunity. Finally, the trailing car takes the chance; using the slipstream to gain speed it lunges inside of the turn in a daring attempt to outbrake the leading car into the apex.

Now imagine this overtaking event, muliplied or magnified or stretched or something. Instead of it being a one special moment in the race, the overtaking event becomes the whole race from start to finish. Instead of it happening on just a particular section of the track, the overtaking event happens along the total length of the track. And instead of just two drivers, make it ten, twenty, thirty drivers fighting for position.

This is how I have come to understand Stock Car Racing. I fell out of bed, hurting my head from the things I said. Yes, I get my fair share of humble pie every time I run NASCAR. But I try it out once in a while, when I feel brave. Someday, I will figure out all these many different ways to turn left. Help me, Tom Cruise!




Daytona International Speedway Postcard 1

HDRL COT cars in the garage

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!


The Pace Lap

Racing action at HDRL Daytona 70 laps 

Racing action at HDRL Daytona 70 laps 

Lane Allen, Winner of 2010 HDRL Daytona 70 Laps 

Daytona International Speedway Postcard 2



No comments:

Post a Comment