Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Path to Cromulence

Just signed up for Historic Simracing Organization 1982 World Endurance Championship. Seven rounds of 1000km or 6 hours races, it is going to be tenacious. First race is at 80's era Monza and I will run solo in a Porsche 935, a machine very different from the F1 car I've been driving the past few seasons over at rFactor Racers League.


This car is bigger and heavier, and consequently more difficult to drive. Acceleration comes like an on/off switch, with the engine lugging around from 1000-4000rpm, then suddenly bursting into power from 5000rpm all the way to the 8000rpm redline. With most of the weight at the back, it is unstable under braking and it is harder to keep it balanced through the corner. The braking distance is a lot longer, too. In the garage, most of the setup values are locked, so it really is me who has to adapt to the car, instead of the car being adjusted to my liking.

But the biggest change I must cope with is the race length. After some years of just driving 45 minute sprints, this series will feature 5-6 hour events. I can barely contain my excitement. I'm flooded with confabulations. Endurance racing again! Soon, I will be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment