Monday, February 5, 2024

massless particles

 ORL x VeeRace - Daytona 2.4 Hours Event


pics from ORL Discord / Bence Deak 

This was a tough event and I'm glad it's over. The mod we used was rough and seemed unfinished. During the practice week I had problems with stuttering and crash-to-desktops. The best solution was to turn the eye candy down a bit. Visually it all looked like a game from 30 years ago or something, but at least I was able to race with a grid of 11 cars without any problems.

Well, there were problems. The main one was that I chose a slow car. Either that or I've suddenly forgotten how to drive. I was anywhere from 4-8 seconds slower per lap compared to the fast guys and 4 laps behind the leader by the end of the race. What a shame. 

It didn't help that I had problems with the automated rolling start. During the parade lap I kept getting messages to speed up or to slow down, then I was told to go back to the end of the line, and then line up behind a specific car... the result was a stop-and-go penalty for being in the wrong grid spot for the start of the race. I served it right away at the end of lap 1, and when I came out of the pits to rejoin the race, I found myself in my customary last place. 

There was a big incident sometime during the middle of the race. I was fighting for position with a GT car when the leader started coming up to lap us as we approached the chicane. Maybe I messed up my braking point in deference to the blue flag being flashed at me, I don't know. But I got tapped from behind by the GT car and we both went into spins. We both recovered though and continued on. 

Yeah, it got a little tricky during the night phase. With the graphics turned down there wasn't much to see already, let alone when it got dark. I never expected to race in such stark conditions. Anyway, it is now time for a short break and then it's off to Portimao for OEL Blancpain Endurance Series Round 2.





1 comment:

  1. Good job man. Peace from Adrenaline. Endurance is your strength

    ReplyDelete