Friday, January 20, 2023

a touch of existential flu

Racin Nexus Blancpain GT Series - Round 4 at Portimao

Another race, a different series, and I finish 2nd again behind Fabio Lozio. I was leading during the first half of the race but then I pitted and he didn't. So I had the faster car but he had the track position and he had a big enough gap to finish ahead. It was a bit like the big endurance race in Fuji just a few days ago. And it reminded me of the race at Hockenheim where I finished 2nd behind Marino Brozinic who also went the full distance without pitting. 

In this series, I have been getting poles and usually lead the practice sessions. So the speed is there without a doubt. But in the race I fall behind. I have to work on getting good lap times when the car is heavy with fuel and making the most of the tires after they wear out and the performance goes off. I feel like I've become the hare and second is the first loser and all that.

Only four drivers showed up for this race, and now the series is in danger of being cut short just like Japan Super GT last year. The new drivers who showed up for the first three rounds didn't return after the holiday break. And the rFactor Matchmaker has been down a few days, too. Anyway, I am 2nd in the points standings now behind Fabio, but there might not be any more races to make up the gap. I guess it will all depend on how many drivers attend the next race at Brands Hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment