Sunday, January 15, 2023

rabbit is good rabbit is wise

 


OEL F40 GT Endurance Series - Round 1 - 3 Hours of Fuji 

A few hours after checkered flag and my lower back still feels a little bit sore. I finished 2nd place out of 10 starters, applying a short stint / quick stop strategy that had me pitting in 6 times total compared to the "normal" 3-4 times. I did this because the tires performance would drop considerably after a dozen laps or so and refuelling also took a lot of time. I thought that limiting tire usage, lower fuel loads, and spending less time in the pits was the way to success. The strategy worked for the most part. Early in the race I dropped back but I was able to overtake those ahead eventually.

But I could not keep up with Fabio Lozio, the race winner who was 2 laps ahead by the end. He was just faster overall and seemed to do fine when the tires went off. He did longer stints and stopped just 3 times. He also avoided trouble at the start of the race when everyone was still close to each other. Congrats Maestro, you were in a class of your own in this race.

Next round will be the 250 Miles of Barber Motorpark. I don't recall ever having raced there so I will have to do some track learning along with figuring out how to maximize the ephemeral tires. But before this big event we return to the Blancpain GT Series over at Racin Nexus.

No comments:

Post a Comment