Monday, June 3, 2024

computer says no

F1 Classic World Championship 2001 Season - Round 7 Monaco

I got the call up to race in F1 CWC 2001 season a month ago for Round 3 in Brazil. Unfortunately, there was too much lag to be able to race. It was the same problem that prevented me from running in the previous 2000 season. A number of drivers have come and gone since then, and I got invited again to race in Round 7 in Monaco. A nightmare of a track to make a season debut, but I was up for the challenge. The ping times were too high and spiky again on the practice server, but on the official race server the connection was good enough for me to race.

With fuel and tires rate set at 4x, there were two strategies to choose from in the 20 laps race. You could go two stops with the Softs or 1 stop with the Hards. Of course, I tested both strategies and found that it was faster overall to go with the two-stopper. The faster laptimes with a lighter car and grippier tires would overcome the time saved by doing one less pitstop with a heavy car and less grip. However, in Monaco where it is tight and there is no room to overtake, track position is king.

I qualified 3rd with a so-so lap, and this put me in a position where I had to be aggressive and decisive. EcoWarrior qualified ahead of me, but based on his early race pace it was apparent that he was doing the 1 stop strategy. It was a short race, so I knew I had to make a move soon if I was going to make my pitstop strategy work. Years of being a backmarker did not prepare me for this situation.

My first lunge, going into the right hander that leads into the hairpin was clean. And then it looks like EcoWarrior runs into me at the corner exit. I missed the braking point going into the hairpin and hit the wall, but I didn't hit EcoWarrior at all. The next two bumps towards the end of the lap were my fault it seems. The first hit I misjudged his speed (maybe he braked too much) and the next hit I didn't place the car correctly (he had space on the outside but turned in). I'm not sure about the "terminal suspension damage" though. Damage was set at 60%, and if the "crash" was hard enough to affect EcoWarrior's suspension, I think it would have detached my front wing as well. The final overtake on Rush I think would have been clean, but Rush turned into me at the exit. I think he was surprised that I was there and that I got alongside. Anyway, I accept the penalty which is a grid place drop in the next race.

I suppose it wasn't a great race overall for me. I got 2nd place at the finish, and I made it happen on the track. At Monaco, too, of all places. But maybe some drivers will think I made some dirty moves.

Race Results

image from Adrenaline, F1 CWC Discord

No comments:

Post a Comment