Monday, May 23, 2022

noctivagant alley cat

 

pic by Iker Vera

Round 2 of LFR DTM 2015 Series at Brands Hatch. I've raced here a few times before and got some good results. Familiarity with the track allows me to immediately concentrate on car setup because I don't need anymore to learn the line and the brake points and all that. During the practice week, checking my pace against the grid, I find myself just behind the fast guys but ahead of the chasing pack. I qualify P3 in a session full of traffic and trouble. 26 cars looking to set a fast lap on a short circuit within 20 minutes. That was wild.

I lose two places immediately during the race start. Look at how close we lined up at the start! I have to improve my drag racing skills. I can stay close to the two guys who overtook me, but the two fast guys ahead go off into the distance. Soon one overtaker makes a mistake, and then the other, and I am back through into P3. We pulled away from the midfield as this happened, and I have a big enough gap to complete the mandatory pitstop and stay in P3.

At this point in the race we are catching up to the backmarkers, and some seem to ignore the blue flags. It makes for tricky times in this tight race track. I'm not able to hit my best pace and the guy behind me closes up the gap. I have to defend the P3 for a few laps, it was thick but eventually I am able to take the podium finish.




No comments:

Post a Comment