Sunday, June 19, 2022

ists and phobes

pic - Santiago Barrios

Round 6 of LFR DTM2015 Series at Zandvoort - I came into this race hoping to find the pace I lost in the previous round. I have raced here before and the Practice week goes without any problems. I qualify 5th about 1 second behind the fast guys. I avoid any problems at the start and I am able to overtake and get P3. The guys ahead come in for their pitstops and I am in P1 for 1 lap, just before my own mandatory stop. I rejoin the race in P4 and it is another battle for the podium spot, but this time I am attacking and not defending. I get a couple of attempts but can't take the spot. I finish in P4.

And then comes the brain fart. During practice I had been using a shortcut to get into the pits faster during inlaps. On my cooldown lap after checkered flag, I decide to use this shortcut. The shortcut puts me ahead of the backmarkers who are still racing their final lap. I block someone and almost cause an accident, but I don't think it affected the final results. Anyway, this was totally unnecessary as I should have just parked and pressed ESC like I normally do. So I will get penalized for this stupid move and I hope it is not too harsh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment